Sunday, May 8, 2022

Prattville Dragoons Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp 1524 Chaplain's Column May 2022 - Humbling Afflictions

 

"... therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me." - 2 Corinthians 12:7

 

  Over the last month, I have inherited a "guest" on my neck. Many of you noticed it at the Dragoon picnic in April. At first it started out as a small knot, but quickly grew large and irritated. Last week, it, well, it opened. I won't share what is coming out of it, but it will have to opened and removed. It's called a Carbuncle. I had never heard of it before. I pray nobody reading this ever gets one.

  I share this because, at the same time I have been studying "Paul's Letters." In 2 Corinthians Paul speaks of a "thorn in my flesh." According to Paul, it was placed there by Satan or of his minions. But what he meant for evil, once again God turned into good.

  Many theologians and scholars have debated whether Paul was speaking of a literal thorn in the side, or was meaning figuratively, even, spiritually. Paul did have a severe eye affliction, meaning many of his epistles were dictated and transcribed by others. This did cause frustration on his part.

  Paul even "pleaded" with the Lord three times (!) to remove his affliction. But the Lord told him no, that "my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness (v.9)."

  God had blessed Paul with showing him the glory of heaven. But he gave Paul an agony that was commensurate to the previous glory. Why? To humble Paul.

  We all have "thorns" in our life. Though we are blessed with the saving grace of God, the Lord shows us His strength when we are laid low and must rely on his grace. Confess your "thorn(s)" to the Almighty and seek his everlasting grace.

  I encourage you in times of weakness, to do as Paul did. He reminded us that, for "...Christ's sake...to delight in weakness...in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong (v.10).

 

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment