Sunday, November 6, 2022

Prattville Dragoons Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp 1524 Chaplain's Column for November 2022

            “When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, ‘I am the light of the world.

Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.’” John 8:12.

 

            There are times in our lives when we seem to walk in perpetual darkness. I have encountered those seasons and I know as you read this you have as well. Some of those seasons seem to pass quickly and sometimes, unfortunately, they seem to go on forever.  During those times in our lives, we have two very distinct choices. We succumb to the darkness and let it overwhelm us, or we tether ourselves even stronger to God and let the light overcome the darkness.

            That can be easier said than done, though. I have a hard time trusting others and that can sometimes translate in to failing to trust God. So I asked myself how did our Confederate ancestors, during the war and reconstruction, resist the temptation to, as Job’s wife lamented, “to curse God and die”?

They put their complete trust and faith in God. An example comes from the Apostle Paul as he writes in Romans 4 that Abraham trusted God when God told him he would be the father of many tribes and nations. Abraham knew that such a thing was impossible at his age, but he put his complete faith in the Lord and was rewarded. Abraham did this again years later when God told Abraham to sacrifice his only son. He was again obedient to God and was again rewarded for his trust and righteousness.

            I will confess that as darkness has seem to envelop our family of late, I have questioned what was God is doing in my life? I may have passed my medical tests, but I failed my spiritual test.   

            Twice in recent weeks, the Lord has put Peter on my mind. In the first instance, I was reminded of the book of Matthew, verses 22-33, when Peter walked on the water to Jesus. He was fine at first, almost with a child-like glee to be with his Lord. But, then, he began to sink. Why? He took his eyes off of Jesus. Peter was fine when he kept his eyes on Jesus, but when he looked down at the water, he began to sink.  We do that in our lives as well. We are fine as long as we keep our eyes on God. But when we fail to realize that God is bigger than any problem we may have, we began to sink.

            After I had much time in prayer and reading of scripture, the Holy Spirit put Peter back in my mind once more. I read John 21:15-17. Peter had denied knowing Jesus three times the night of his trial and eventual crucifixion. Peter was demoralized and was certain that Jesus would denounce him. Jesus loved the disciples, and Peter, especially. Jesus went to Peter and asked him three times if Peter loved him. Each time Peter answered “of course I do.” Jesus replied, “then feed my sheep. No reprimand, no denouncement, just love and forgiveness. Jesus then commissioned Peter and the other disciples as he does us. “Go and feed my sheep.” I believe God put that scripture on my heart because He loves me and wanted me to know that I was forgiven (as we all are) and that there was no time to feel sorry for oneself because there is work to do!

“Go and feed my sheep! “

No comments:

Post a Comment