Monday, February 12, 2024

Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp 1524 Chaplain’s Column for January 2024 - When Facing a Storm, Trust God

 

"Can any of you add one moment to his life span by worrying?"

Matthew 6:27

 

When I was a teenager, and I was living in the Atlanta area, Hurricane Opal blew through the area. Many of you will remember Opal as a particularly vicious storm that was still powerful as it reached my parent's home in Marietta. I remember watching the trees whip back and forth and crash all around us. My Mom and I made a bee-line for the safety of the basement. We sat down in the dark worrying that this might be the end. Meanwhile my dad was sound asleep upstairs in his bedroom without a worry in the world. The next morning it looked like a bomb had gone off. There were trees everywhere but none had hit the house!

Why did my Dad remain so calm in the face of the storm? Well, two reasons. One, he was from the Mobile/ Brewton area originally, so hurricanes were nothing to him and second, and more importantly, he felt if it was his time that the Lord would call him home or protect him otherwise.

Now, I am not recommending not seeking shelter in a storm, but my dad faced down the storm as David faced down Goliath with confidence. Both knew that their God was bigger than the storm or obstacle before them.

How do we face the storms in our life? Do we waste days worrying? I know several people in my life who will worry about something even when there is nothing to worry about yet. We worry about a potential doctor's prognosis or possibly an expensive bill for the car or the house repair. I admit that sometimes I am guilty of it as well.

But when I read the above verse from Matthew, Jesus' words hit home. What good has worrying done for me? Has it helped with finances? Found a new home or a better job? No. Not once. As I read once, "all worrying does is make us forget that our future really isn't our future: it's God's." We'll experience our future, but we don't possess it or have control over it, God does. And that's a good thing. The future is God's because He's the only one who can control it.

I think of my Dad often and when I am facing a storm I remember the confidence he had in the Lord when staring down his.

So let us rest in this: the future is God's, so instead of worrying about it, we should trust the One who controls it.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment