Sunday, October 10, 2021

Prattville Dragoons Chaplain’s Column for October 2021 - Remembrance and Words to Encourage

         "And God shall wipe all tears from their eyes... for the former things  are passed away."

Revelation 21:4

 

I would be remiss if I did not start by mentioning the recent passing of former Dragoons Chaplain, Tom Snowden.

Many of you knew Tom longer and far better than I did, and could share many stories in this column.

What I will remember of him is that he was a man of God. I will remember our conversations, prayers, and the impact he had on all of us.

I will also always recollect his laugh, his kindness to me and others, his Christmas singing, and his patience with the projector in the backroom of the Shoney's.

I also know that he is with the Lord in his glory and that makes his passing a little easier.

And I am ever reminded that between him and Will Dismukes, I walk in the shoes of giants in this role as chaplain.

 

"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness."

James 3:9

 

As I was driving to work the other morning I was listening to a sermon on the radio. The pastor was speaking from James 3, on the "power of the tongue."

James was speaking on the impact of your words. You have the power to lift someone up or destroy them by what you say.

More importantly, you will be judged by these words. Matthew 12 states that, "everyone will have to give a account on the day of judgement for every every empty word they have spoken" (v. 36,37).

Proverbs speaks that the "tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat it's fruit (v. 18:21).

 

I have to admit that I have used my tongue poorly many times. At work, when Auburn plays poorly, or somebody assails my heritage.

I have been convicted over the years to use my words to speak light in to people. The world already has enough harsh words in it. Just look at social media.

How are you  using your words? Would you speak so if you saw Jesus in the room?

Challenge yourself today to use your tongue to build others up in the light of Christ.

Remember those on our prayer list.



No comments:

Post a Comment