Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Happy Birthday General Thomas Stonewall Jackson


In honor of Stonewall Jackson's birth date today, the following quotes provide a glimpse into the intensity, brilliance and conviction of one of history's greatest generals:
   
Jackson spoke many pithy, memorable words.  Two  favorites are "Give 'em the bayonet!" and, to the remark that some enemy soldiers were behaving bravely on the field, "Shoot them all - I do not wish them to be brave."  Because he hated war and wanted to end it as quickly as possible, he believed the South should follow a policy of "no quarter."
 
Jackson also said, "My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed.  God has fixed the time for my death.  I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me.  . . . That is the way all men should live, then all would be equally brave."

No comments:

Post a Comment