Chaplain’s Column: In Times of Disaster - Deuteronomy 29:29
Our God reserves the right to reveal some things and conceal others. Although we may not know why disasters occur, the biblical truths we do know with absolute certainty allow us to trust the Lord even in times of great suffering. These include:
1. God is in control (Psalm 103:19). Nothing in heaven or on earth is outside of His rule and authority. He does not react to events but sovereignly ordains or permits them to run their course. Although we cannot know for certain if He has sent a catastrophe or allowed it, we can trust in His goodness and wisdom.
2. The Lord loves people and wants them to be saved (John 3:16-17). Giving His Son for the salvation of the world proves without a doubt that He loves each person. This truth stands firm despite the fact that many reject the Savior. He cares for us, even when we can’t feel it or won’t accept it.
3. God ordains or permits events for His good purpose (Isaiah 46:10). Though we cannot fully comprehend what He is doing in each incident, every disaster is a wake-up call for humanity. He is alerting us of the need to repent—so the lost can be saved and the saved can be revived to live totally for Him. Catastrophes open our ears to hear from the Lord.
I think disasters can come in natural forms and then there are those that are man-made. I believe our country could be headed for such a disaster. By ignoring simple warning signs and ignoring Bible-taught truths, we have drifted away from being a Christian Nation. Now look what we are becoming. The Government is spending money at breakneck speed. One day we may go broke. What then? I sometimes think that we may have to suffer before we can wake up to what’s going on. I just hope that when we bottom out that it’s not too late to get it back.
The One who loves us perfectly is in full control, working everything out according to His good purpose. Knowing this should fill us with hope, even in the midst of crisis situations. The Lord even promises to turn disaster to good for those who “are called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28).
Please remember to pray for our country and those on our prayer list:
1. David Brantley's wife Jennifer
2. Allen Herrod
3. John Durden to undergo eye surgery
4. JJ Oakley
5. James Whittington
6. Harry Rawlinson
7. Harold Grooms's friend Dolores Smith
8. Larry Miller
9. Stan Stuckey son-in-law of Billy Parker
10. George Jenks's cousin, Cathy Faye Jones
Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed (James 5:16).
Yours In Christ,Tom Snowden, Chaplain