Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Prattville Dragoons Commander Chris Booth's Farewell Message

Commander Booth penned a farewell address for the Dragoons February Camp Dispatch as he concludes his second term as camp Commander although he will be continuing to serve faithfully as 2nd Lt Commander for the upcoming year.   The following was his column:

Commander's Column:  Farewell Message
            Well gentlemen, barring something really bad happening this will be my last Commander’s column.  I want to thank you for the opportunity to lead the Prattville Dragoons for the last two years.  I hope that you were able to enjoy the meetings, events and publications that we put together.  When I say “we” I mean all members of the camp not just the officers but also the members.
            After all what would a monthly meeting or other event such as the annual picnic, parade events, Confederate Memorial day ceremony, or flagging of the graves of Confederate soldiers be without the members' attendance and participation.  Without you, the members, the Dragoons would be just the few officers gathering together--which I can tell you can be quite entertaining--but is not as effective, due to the lack of the shared interaction among all the members.
            I of course need to thank those who really work hard to make the camp events a success.  The first of these would be 1st Lt. Commander Harold Grooms, who invited speakers and so provided us fine programs,  and 2nd Lt. Commander Stuart Waldo, who has been a standout in helping drive membership and inspiring all of us with his original ideas and energy.  Next are Billy Leverette and Wayne Sutherland, our Treasurer and Adjutant respectively, who work so hard and well on the financial and organizational side of the Camp.  Additionally, I must offer thanks one last time to Billy Leverette and wife Cathie for donating in 2011 a color printer and paper so that our Camp now publishes a quality, color newsletter at no cost other than postage.  Then there is Tom Snowden, our chaplain, who always reminds us of God’s grace through Christ and inspires us with his dedication to his calling.  I must also express my gratitude to Past Commander Bill Myrick, who keeps the Camp connected with the Brigade and Division through his position as the Brigade Commander. And I cannot fail to mention Past Camp Commander and interim Color Sergeant and Division Chief-of-Staff Larry Spears who always seems to be able to step up when something needs doing, like the all-important position he recently accepted as Chairman of the I-65 Flag Committee.  And last, but certainly not least, I wish to express appreciation to and for Camp Communications Officer, Historian, Jefferson Davis re-enactor, and my friend Tyrone Crowley.  To all these people and to all members, my heartfelt thanks for a good two years.
Deo Vindice.
Chris Booth
Camp Commander

No comments:

Post a Comment