Thursday, November 21, 2013

Sam Davis Article by Dr. Michael Bradley - Part 5

In honor and memorial of the 150th Anniversary of the Capture, Trial and Execution of Sam Davis, Confederate Hero, an article by Dr. Michael Bradley.  See for more information regarding the 150th Anniversary memorial in Smyrna TN Nov 22-24.  

                                                                       SAM DAVIS

A few days following the execution a relative came to Pulaski to retrieve the body of Sam Davis.  His remains were taken in a wagon to the family home in Smyrna and buried in the family cemetery.  Some twenty years after the war, at his mother's request, the body was moved to a plot in the back yard of the family home where it lies in honor today.
       The story of Sam Davis did not become widely known until the mid-1880's when Sumner Cunningham, editor of The Confederate Veteran was told of the events surrounding Davis' death.  An article in the magazine touched off a flood of responses from former comrades who had known Davis and a plan was set afoot to erect a monument to him.  Economic conditions in the South made fulfillment of the plan a slow process.  In 1906 a statue of Sam Davis was erected on the courthouse square in Pulaski.  The Tennessee legislature authorized a monument on the grounds of the state capitol and this was completed and dedicated in 1909.  In the process of preparing these memorials it was discovered that no picture of Sam Davis existed so his brother posed for the sculptors.  The United Daughters of the Confederacy placed a memorial window of Davis in the Confederate Memorial Chapel in 1912 and the house where he grew up was acquired by the state in 1927 to become a living history memorial to the young man whose grave is in the rear of the house.  History minded citizens of Pulaski erected a shrine to Sam Davis in 1950 on the spot where he gave up his life.

       November 2013 marks the sesquicentennial of the death of Sam Davis.  The Sons of Confederate Veterans, and all who love courage, patriotism, and devotion to duty, should pause to do him honor.

       Today the Sam Davis House is open to the public on a daily basis.  The house was built in 1810 and the site includes outbuildings, including cabins of the slaves who worked here.  Activities on the property portray the lifestyle of an upper-middle class family at the time of the War.  The house contains many items which belonged to the Davis family and a museum on the property houses the buttons from the uniform Sam was wearing at the time of his capture. The Sam Davis Memorial Association supports the house and its activities.  Membership in the Association is open to all and there are various levels at which one may donate to become a member. For more information on the Sam Davis home and membership in the association, go to:

       Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #33, Murfreesboro, is planning a three-day event, November 22, 23, 24, 2013 to commemorate the capture, trial, and execution of Sam Davis. This event will include seminars, lectures, and a memorial service. All those who love the South and who wish to honor Sam Davis are invited to attend this event. For more details on this historic event, go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment